Malawi Andy

Monday, October 16, 2006

Something I Won't Miss

Mosquitoes.  I really can't stand them.  A good way to express how much you don't like something is to compare it to something else that is commonly disliked and say that you dislike it more than that.  I really can't think of anything approaching the level of which I don't like mosquitoes so I'll say that I detest them more than whatever it is that would make you think "Wow! Really! More than THAT!"   I guess as far as mosquitoes go they really aren't that bad.  They are small and when they bite it only itches for an hour or so.  Even here in Balaka there aren't nearly as many as you might find around the lake and people from countries with jungles would probably come to Malawi for a break from mosquitoes.  Coming from a country with an actual winter the problem comes from them being around all year.  And the worst of it isn't when there are ten, fifty, or a hundred mosquitoes, but when there is a single mosquito that insists on buzzing around my head at night.  If it is outside of the net it jars me awake and I sleep uneasy until I am certain that it is outside the net.  If I see one flying inside the net, It sets off a reaction of flailing hands around trying to crush it.  If it manages to escape the first onslaught (they usually do), then I am forced to thoroughly search the entire net/bed area with the aid of my desk lamp while cursing their general existence.  Usually, very little sleep follows.