Malawi Andy

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Cornflakes

I ate cornflakes yesterday.  I suppose I could have been eating them this whole time since they are available in the local stores, but at regular cereal prices which are just absurd here.  I didn't actually break down and buy some, but we have a friend, Roddick from Poland, who is a seminarian for the White Fathers in Lilongwe (Yes, some of the White Fathers are black)  He hooked us up with cornflakes they received from the parishoners.  Normally for mass, people give things like corn, bread, sugar, and cases of Coke or Fanta for offertory.  You know, normal things.  Being in a more urban parish, I guess it is more common for people to give cornflakes.  Anyways, he said they had more cornflakes then any of them wanted to eat so he brought some for us.  Unfortunately, the store we used to buy milk from stopped selling it and I was forced to eat it using milk made from powder which doesn't really qualify as milk.