Malawi Andy

Friday, July 21, 2006

Field Trip 2

The secondary went on their yearly field trip this week.  This time it was the entire secondary together for a trip to the lake to visit the Maldeco Fishery (Its smells about like it sounds).  The buses were questionable at best, but thankfully there weren't any breakdowns.  We had three of them filled with about 200 girls from pre-teens to late teens.  It was...well, I'm beyond being terrified by that kind of thing at this point, but I'm sure that's how I would have felt about a year and a half ago.  The bus trip with the singing, talking, shouting, and squealing is now on my list of the loudest things I've ever experienced.  That was agreed with by our visitor Natasha who has 10 years experience teaching highschool.  It wasn't close to Easter Mass at Outstation but still impressive.  The Fishery itself wasn't all that impressive.  "Here's a dock with no boats, a conveyer belt with no fish, and some walk in freezers."  I think the most exciting part for the girls was getting to grab a handful of ice from the ice maker.  It's not like they've never seen ice, but who doesn't love a big handful when they get the chance.  After the fishery we went to the beach and the girls swam for an hour.  It was...okay, I wasn't beyond being terrified this time.  I kept a safe distance from the 200 pre-teen to late teen girls who are even more excited about swimming than they are about ice.