Malawi Andy

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Fashion

In the secondary school, the students are required to where uniforms during school hours.  This includes a maroonish colored skirt, black shoes, and a cream colored blouse.  After classes and on weekends, they are free to where whatever they want.  In the evenings, they just change into casual cloths and many of them where an African Chitenji (wrap).  On the weekends, however, they have the time and motivation to really get themselves pretty.  Some go for the full-on African dress with head wrap.  Others go for designer-looking jeans, skirts, blouses, hats, scarves, sunglasses, and anything else they can get.  It's pretty safe to say that I am fashion retarded so they might be achieving the current standards of fashion, but even if they aren't they are giving it their best.  One Saturday, I passed a group of girls decked out in their finest heading to the boarding so I asked where they were coming from thinking there was a purpose.  They responded with a casual "nowhere" so I asked where they were going in my vain attempt to find meaning and got the same response.  So I don't know why they do it and apparently neither do they. They are just teenager girls in every good and terrifying sense of the word.  The day of parent-teacher meetings I let the girls use the computers while I was doing the parent-teacher thing.  After I was finished, I went in to check on them and was hit by a cloud of perfurm that nearly knocked me on my feet.  Maybe that time it was for their parents.  Who knows?