Malawi Andy

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Graduation

This weekend we had the very first Form 4 Graduation here at Bakhita.  It was a little strange since they have about a month left school with the government certificate exams they still have to take starting in two weeks.  I was sort of on the Graduation Committee so I had a hand in the planning.  "Sort of" meaning that I had to attend the meetings, but I didn't have to plan or run them so it was easy to find an excuse to duck out early.  After a few bad experiences planning other various feast days at this school, I expected it to be complete chaos, but it went surprisingly well.  I thought graduation ceremonies were long at home, but this one started at 8:30 a.m. with mass and ended somewhere around 4 pm.  In the morning, it was mostly the girls performing dramas, dances, songs, speehes and poems.  An interesting drama was put on by the Form 1's warning the Form 4's not to "break their pot".   It was about a girl who didn't listen to the advise given at her initiation ceremony that she shoudn't run around with boys.  She went out with any boy that was handsome and rich, and then she ended up pregnant and alone.  It was performed very well and the lead actress is much more alive on stage than in math class (always falling asleep).  In the afternoon, there were more songs, a few speeches, and the presentation of awards and diplomas.  Everyone else got to leave, but I was convinced by the students ("but sir") to set up a disco from 4 to 6.  I worked out a system plugging an mp3 equipped laptop into the TV and setting a college girl up as the DJ.  They listened to a some Malawian music, but mostly Hip hop.  I tried to sneak in some decent rock and roll only to get complaints...that is after they got bored of watching me jump around like an idiot.  Again the complete chaos and mass distruction that I expected never happened so I'd say it was a success.