Malawi Andy

Monday, January 23, 2006

Acrobatics

One day I was walking home taking my usual route and as I turned the corner of one dirt road on to another dirt road, I saw a group of boys standing around in small sandy dried out ditch.  Now while this in of itself is not particularly extraordinary, I noticed that they were motioning for me to watch...so I did.  I then saw one of them that was standing some distance from the others start running towards the group.  I didn't make too much of the concrete slab set up slanted on some bricks that the group was standing around until the boy running jumped off the concrete slab and did a spectacular flip in the air.  Just as I was beginning to recover from the amazement of seeing such acrobatics on my way back from town, another boy took off running for the slab, jumped off, and did an equally spectacular flip.  Now, if I were the responsible adult that I should be (I'm not), I probably should have told them that, while they have great skill and should further develop their talents, the concrete/brick construction was not particularly safe and maybe they shouldn't be doing flips off it anymore.  Although, being the way that I actually am (not a responsible adult), instead of telling them they should stop, I'm pretty sure I said something like, "COOL!" and "Do it again!".  Of course, they did it again, and again I was pretty impressed.  I think I gave them some high fives and left them as the wreckless boys they were before I met them and me still the irresponsible adult I will probably always be.