Malawi Andy

Monday, November 28, 2005

Summer Break

It is summer over here so we are on break from school until January.  The Montfort Fathers have a house on the lake that we used for a couple days so we managed to swim a little.  The people living around the lake are used to visitors and are ready to do business.  They even set up right on the lawn and wait for you to come out to buy their wood carvings, paintings, and necklaces.  I enjoy looking at the carvings and paintings, but I wasn't really interested in buying anything.  Since they are very persistant once you show any interest, I tried to keep my distance.  One night a group of kids with some homemade instruments came and played a few songs for us.  Now that I am back in Balaka, I am starting to setup everything I need for Computers and Science class to run smoothly next year.  I will not be Math and Economics in the college next year, but the clubs are moving into the actual timetable and more emphasis will be put on attendance so I guess its like I am becoming the Drama teacher.  I am also opening the computer lab so local students can come and use them over break.  My hope is to have them a little more familiar with how they work before classes begin.  So far, few have actually come, but it is summer break so I'm not too surprised.