Malawi Andy

Friday, October 28, 2005

Finals

It is final exams week here at Bakhita.  Actually, last week was exam week for the college which means I sat watching my one student take two 3 hour tests.  Very Exciting.  I could have graded it over her shoulder while she was taking it in order to get it out of the way, but decided against it.  The secondary finals should be a little more interesting.  For finals, all of the students are put in the hall together and they take a test in the morning and in the afternoon, two hours each, for a week.  A teacher is assigned to oversee each of the forms for each of the tests. 
The rule is you are not allowed to oversee your own exam.  I'm not sure why, but I guess its so the teachers don't help the students do better on their exams.  It does make answering questions about the exams difficult because if something is confusing or there is a mistake then we have to run all over the school to find the teacher to get things straightened out.  The first term I was assigned for the Chichewa exam so I didn't have a clue how to answer even the simplest questions about the test because, well, it was in Chichewa so I differed to the other teacher on duty for everything.  For the computers exam I get to take care of myself because it involves a practical and theory section of the test and two different groups so there is some extra coordination required.  After the exams we are on our summer break.