Malawi Andy

Friday, August 05, 2005

Malawian Time

I think there might be a section of the Theory of Relativity which describes how a country's level of development affects the speed at which time progresses.  If there isn't there needs to be.  I seem to be trapped in some sort of wormhole or singularity in which the very concept of time breaks down.  I am no longer able to distinguish the different lengths of time between events.  If anyone asks me when a particular event occured, "between the time we arrived in Malawi and now" is as specific as I can be.  My life can now be divided into two distinct periods: Pre-Malawian time and Malawian time.  There is also a brief transitional period referred to as "Rome" but I can't be certain if that actually happened anymore.  Here in Malawian Time, the passage of time seems to be moving fast and slow at the same time.  Things move much slower and events seem to take longer, Sunday Mass for example.  Things get done and people move at an apparent slower pace.  On the other hand by my records, which I admit are questionable, we are now finishing our second week of classes in Term 3.  WHAT!?  Didn't we just finish Term 2.  However fast time might be moving, it is certain that it is shifted by at least a half an hour.  9:30 a.m. mass on Sunday is guaranteed not to start before 10 a.m.  We are actually in the habit now of not leaving the house for anything until the time that it is scheduled to start.  I was planning an event with the drama club and we decided that it should start at 1:30 p.m.  I had the students make posters to advertise, and when I checked them the start time was listed at 1:00 p.m.  Confused I asked them why they changed it.  What did they answer? "But Sir, Malawian Time"...They KNOW!